CoachPotato's RV Site

Another visit to Oceanside!

Sept 10, 2009: Day 1 - Home to Frazier Park via SR99, I-5: 250 miles.

Approaching the climb up the so-called grapevine.

It was time again to visit the gang in Oceanside, so I readied the coach and headed south. This trip began a bit later in the day than usual as I had some things to do that morning, but I left home in the early afternoon and arrived at Flying J in Frazier Park a bit before 1700. I couldn't resist the buffet at Flying J's restaurant, and pigged out on fried chicken, mashed potatoes and dessert. Mmmmmm.

Morning at Flying J in Frazier Park, CA; Next is LALA land traffic.


Sept 11: Day 2 - Frazier Park to Oceanside via I-5: 154 miles.

I rolled onto I-5 for the rest of the trip to Dean's at 0900. I had the horrors of LA traffic ahead of me, but sucked it up and joined the fray. The drive through the chaos was as usual, with a few complete stops during the drive. But there were no real delays; the were just thousands too many cars for the size of the highway. As usual, once I got to Buena Park, the area near Disneyland, the highway opened up and it was a good drive on down to Oceanside. 

Typical LALA traffic!

I enjoyed lunch with my son, Dean, at the restaurant patio overlooking the harbor that has become our tradition. This visit I experienced high humidy for the first time in Oceanside. It was muggy and not very pleasant. After lunch, we returned to their home where I climbed into the coach and drove the couple blocks to Guajome Park and settled in for a couple of days. After a much needed shower, I relaxed for awhile before spending the evening with Dean and my two grandsons, Connor and Aidan. We enjoyed steak and corn on the cob for dinner, made by Dean. Melissa, his wife, was out of town for the weekend so it was just us Gillespie men together this trip. After dinner I headed back to the coach for a very restful night.

Sept 12: Day 3 - Jacks down at Guajome Park

Jacks down at Guajome Park in Oceanside, CA.

I stayed at the coach 'til about noon as the guys went to Connor's soccer game. There would be no seating and no shade and I chose to stay comfortable at the coach. But after the game the gang picked me up.

My son Dean and grandson Aidan. Where's Connor!?

We went to their place for awhile, then sent the kids to a neighbor to stay while Dean and I headed to a favored Chinese place for a very good lunch. When we came back home we spent time with the kids and the dog 'til I just couldn't take any more hollering and hyper activity. Dean had a big college football game coming on the TV, so I asked him to take me back to the coach at 1700. I downed a couple good Tom Collins cocktails to regain some sanity before my early bedtime of about 2100.

Grandpa's therapy session after time with those rambunctious kids!

I'd be getting up around 0330 to hit the road for home, hoping to streak through the LA area very early and ahead of the traffic as I usually do. 




Make a Free Website with Yola.